Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Land I Love







I was born in Gangtok the capital of Sikkim and have spent 18 years of my life there. My memories of Sikkim are closest to my heart and i keep hunting for an opportunity to run back home so that i can once again experience the beauty of that place and refill myself with its coolness. For me going home is as good as going on a vacation, people who have visited Sikkim would know what i mean.





Yumthang
              I often come across people who get extremely excited on discovering where i come from and cannot restrain form praising that place.          
          One attribute imbibed in the culture of Sikkim is the love for music and sports.Western rock music and hindi songs  have gained wide acceptance among the Sikkimese. Indigenous Nepali rock and Lepcha music are also popular. Common sports in Sikkim are Football and Basketball.The famous footballer Bhaichung Bhutia is from Sikkim.
        Hang gliding and river rafting have also been introduced in order to promote tourism.
      Additions there are 4000 species of flowering plants, 600 species of birds, 560 species of Orchids, 40 species of Rhododendrons and a large number of other animals are sheltered in this tiny state. Numerous snow-clad peaks, alpine lakes and swirling clouds beautify the area for any adventure lover who comes to Sikkim.

Orchids


5 comments:

  1. Your blog is tempting. Last year we were planning a trip to Sikkim & the 7-sister states, but regretably could not go...

    Hope to read more about the area before I start planning my trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure, i'll be coming up with more post about Sikkim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done rupali... very informative...!
    i like i like

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave a beautiful explanation about the flora - fauna and living culture about the place. Will be visiting Sikkim soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly informative blog covering all aspect of fun.
    Sikkkim heading the priority list of "Must Visit" now :)
    Count me as a FAN of ur blog. Kudos Rupali!!

    ReplyDelete